"What you see depends mainly on what you look for." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Its a lonely world, sometimes.

There are obviously a lot of great things about being a stay at home mom. But, We often don't consider the downsides.
My husband works 50 hours a week with an hour drive each way, to and from work. This means he leaves before Corbyn and I are out of bed in the morning and he gets home as the sun is going down at night. I am proud that he works so hard to make sure I can stay home with our toddler, to teach and to train her. But in exchange for that, it also means I don't ever get a break. He comes home exhausted and I obviously don't expect him to do all the baby duties after putting in a 12 hour day at work. Even tho I've made 5-6 meals today and changed 5-6 diapers, cleaned up 5-6 spills, done laundry, swept/mopped floors, dishes, bathed and played with a demanding 2 year old. I can't just take a break when her daddy comes home. Being a stay at home mom is literally a 24-7 job. It's exhausting to say the least.
Not to mention it also puts a damper on any time he and I get together. When Daddy comes home not only is he sore and exhausted but Corbyn is excited to see him and play with him. She hoards him while I clean up the dinner I've prepared for his arrival. He spend the next while unraveling from work. And usually within 3-4 hours of him being home it's time for me to lay down for at least an hour to put her to sleep. By then it's 10 o'clock and I'm too exhausted to get back up.

Staying at home with your baby is extremely rewarding, but it can also get quite lonely for the grown up mind.
I'm sure someday that will change. But we'll never get to go back to the fun and fancy free life we shared together, before. Where we could call in sick to work to both veg out, or opt for a midnight movie, laze around eating potato chips all day or spending hours glued to our favorite games.

I'm a mom now..


No comments:

Post a Comment